Fossalta di Portogruaro
The events of Fossalta are linked to the ones of Concordia Diocese. In 996 Emperor Otto 3rd gave the Diocese many territories, among which Fossalta too. Its name (fossa=fossatiun) may mean the several defensive works built against the barbarian invasion. Under the power of the Serenissima Venetian Republic, the lower area was obtained in the 17th century, under the administration of Cordovado, in a part of the territory called "paludo del Sindacal". It seems that the original church dates back to the 11th century and was demolished in 1983 for the construction of the new church of St. Zenone (1913) built in Neo Romanesque style a project by the architect Ruffolo: it has got three aisles with transept and raised presbytery.
Inside it preserves some 17th century paintings and an interesting sacristy pew with kneeling stool in carved wood, from the end of 17th century. After the whirlwind in 1963 the aspect of the town was completely modernised: new urban spaces and recent buildings (for example, the premises of "Cassa Rurale" bank).
The layout of the little square behind the town hall is particularly successful. Along its long sides, it is bordered by the building which houses the public library, where we find the Ippolito Nievo Museum, active promoter of Neviani studies; and on the back of the public cinema we find a fresco which represents a 18th century view of the Castello di Fratta (Castle of Fratta).
The industrial estate in Zianigo S. Margherita is important for the economical development of Fossalta and its area, because it is the principal occupational area where the traditional agricultural activity is integrated.
The sculptors G. Scalambrin (1886 1966) and N. Toffolon (born in 1914) stand out for their works in wood and marble.