Palazzo Contarini called "dei leoni" (of the lions). Built by Federico Contarini, superintendent of St. Marks in 1518. The two lions that gave the name to the building, were sold in 1893 and replaced by the present copies. The large fresco by Tiepolo showing l "Arrivo in villa di Enrico IV e del suo seguito" (Henry IVs arrival at the villa with his train), was removed and sold and is now in a museum in Paris with other works by the artist. The old decoration of the villa is kept in only one room on the ground floor with stuccos and golden medallions. The remains of the park, transformed into a public garden stretch to the sides and behind the villa.
|[ close the file ]|